Loving Vincent Review

Image result for loving Vincent

So, Loving Vincent was a curious case of a movie. If I only had to judge every single hand-painted, absolutely gorgeous frame for this movie, I'd give it a 10/10 hands down. But I'm not going to do that! I'm watching a movie here! I need to also judge it by its compelling plot. Except the plot isn't that compelling. In fact, over time, the movie gets really, really, REALLY boring. There's little development in the main character whatsoever, and the whole movie is just comprised of interviews that may or may not have happened. All of the characters were simply based on people that Van Gogh painted. Let me give you the whole movie in a nutshell: Van Gogh was a tortured artist who killed himself. Don't make conspiracy theories about his possible murder. He just killed himself. I feel like this would be a better movie if it simply wasn't trying to be artsy-fartsy in its plot. Like I said, the visuals are some of the best I've seen in animation. But the movie itself just dragged on and on to eternity despite the fact that it was only 94 minutes long. I will say this: it is an experience. You should watch it, but I must warn you that you probably won't find yourself watching this again. The rotoscopic style reminds me of an underlooked movie that is one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time: Tower. This is an animated documentary that's on Netflix and it is just absolutely thrilling, emotional, and phenomenal in every way. This is kinda what I hoped Loving Vincent would be like. However, it just ended up being way more style than substance for me.

Score: 7/10

Comments

Popular Posts